So many small steps have happened in the past week. I'm very excited about them!
Scarlett is now using the big girl potty all the time (provided we are home). She still has accidents in her pull-ups when we are out places, but that is my bad because I'm not asking her constantly if she needs to go. My motivation for this amazingness.... marshmallows. I bought the small kind and every time she goes potty I then reward her with a tiny marshmallow. She loves marshmallows!
S is now sleeping in bed with Maeve, my 8 year old. She was sleeping with us, but then I wasn't able to wake up in the morning without her getting up too, and I really wanted/needed that alone time without a toddler shadow.
S will now fall asleep for bed time and nap time without me being there until she falls asleep. For nap time (which more times than not is still in my bed), I just take her in there, settle her in, tell her I love her, give her a kiss and walk out. This is huge for us because any time before about a week ago, she would cry if I left the room before she fell asleep.
S is now using words and sentences like there is no tomorrow. She is learning and using English words everyday and hasn't used a Mandarin word in well over a week now. In a way this makes me sad because I feel like she is losing such a big piece of herself. I watch her when we are in a Chinese restaurant and she fixates on families that are speaking in Mandarin. But you can tell that she is losing the ability to decipher what they are saying because she gets this perplexed look on her face. And I wonder, so often, what goes through that beautiful little head.
S loves playing with Maeve now. Maeve had a friend over the other day and Scarlett didn't know what to do with herself. She wanted to play with the girls, but you could tell that they were less than thrilled and I didn't really push it because this was a friend who was just here for a couple of weeks and then would be returning to Oklahoma. In fact, this is Maeve's best friend and it just makes me sad that they don't live here anymore. But that's a whole 'nother story.
So this beautiful, amazing, funny, wonderful little imp has now been a part of our family for 4 months. Wow.
















No comments:
Post a Comment