Monday, May 21, 2012

Two months home and counting


It's been quite a ride so far. The girls are getting along, best they can for ages 4 and 5. They play all day together, zipping around on their plasma cars and fighting over the pots and pans in their kitchen. They also make it a point of including each other in everything they do. They hold hands and Scarlett will even kiss the top of Finn's head when she is hurt. This is huge because Scarlett is a "cold" child. Really the only time we receive affection from her is when she is tired, hurt or wants something. Otherwise we have to go to her and initiate contact. She is getting better about this, but I truly believe there are still trust issues because of the obvious hurts. She is really coming along though when she is hurt because she always wants Mommy to make it all better. I relish in those moments and extend them out as much as I can.



Finn is picking up sentences left and right. This is such a difference from Scarlett. With Scarlett, she uses words as ammunition. If you make her mad, she will refuse to answer you. If she is upset or hurt in any way, she closes up and refuses eye contact. Finn, on the other hand, let's you know exactly how she is feeling at all times and is VERY vocal about it. She is also the ultimate tattle tale. Scarlett and Shaw can not do a single thing without her noticing and busting them. She and I have become very proficient at sign language. Finn's biggest English sentence right now is "I did it!". She is so proud of herself whenever she is able to do something herself. This includes opening up doors (that I would prefer to be closed - like the front door), taking on and off her seatbelt, opening her closet to purge it of cleanliness and other little things that we take for granted but is difficult for her to do one handed but does...



Finn is a perfectionist. Whereas Scarlett is a complete slob (holy moly the mess just flocks to her! LOL), mixing her food into her hair and face with gusto, spilling whatever drink she is holding, this drives Finn bonkers. She is forever getting a kitchen towel and trying to clean off Scarlett's face and hands. She is meticulous when she eats and there is never a spot on the table or around her mouth. The same goes for her room. She makes her bed every morning. Scarlett would prefer to leave it messy, but since she has competition in the "good job" department, she musters up enough energy to at least pull the covers up. Finn will have military corners perfected by the time she is 7.  She puts her shoes on the right foot each and every time. There has never been a time, to date, that Scarlett has put her shoes on the right foot. We are wondering if she is dyslexic or simply making a fashion statement.



Please don't get me wrong. It may sound like I am ragging on Scarlett and am annoyed with her. On the contrary. She is my angel. She is also full of personality and gumpf and vinegar. She is the moodiest, sweetest, most complex child I have ever encountered. And she is one of 4 children that I parent so I know from which I speak. She definitely keeps me on my toes and I thank God for that because I know that with her personality and stubbornness, she will be okay. And at the end of the day, when I am rocking her and snuggling with her and kissing the top of her sunbathed head, I am in awe of her. This is when her defenses come down and I see the hurt, the sadness, the longing to connect. And for a moment or even longer, we do. And each moment gets longer and longer. And I see how far she has come in the 15 months home and it is utterly amazing.  This was a child that couldn't walk or talk or communicate at all and look at her now.



Finn has been a joy since day one. We've had our tantrums but they seem to be slowing down. I think with the language barrier becoming less and less of an issue, she is able to get across what she needs and wants. And I can say "no" without her throwing a fit. I don't think she was used to being told "no". But she now takes it in stride and normally only attempts something once, twice if she really wants it.



Finn is my water baby. Both she and Scarlett love the water, but Finn seems to live for the pool. She wakes up in the morning and asks if it is time to put on "bathing suity". Sometimes she doesn't even ask, she just does it.



When Finn is hungry, she lets you know. Repeatedly. There are times that I have to literally pick her up and take her into the other room to play because her "Momma hungry", is driving me crazy. She can go on and on with this for an hour, all the while I am making it. We did this once and I said, "Never again" and banned her from the kitchen when I am making meals that require more time.



We are still waiting on the test results for her OI diagnosis. The last time we went to Scottish Rite, about two weeks ago, they drew oodles of blood and sent them out for genetic testing. The first set of tests came back negative and so they are diving in deeper and broadening the test parameters. Personally, I don't think she has OI. She isn't fragile. She is rough and tumble. She is the first one to run and jump in the pool, to climb up a steep hill, to jump off of a curb. She thinks she is invincible.



We also saw the hand and arm doctor and she had a splint made up for her arm for night time. When she looked at the x-rays she saw no breaks except for one. She thinks that when the arm was wrapped, it wasn't set properly and this is why she has lack of movement in it. We have started OT on her fingers and arm and hope this will make a difference. I truly hope so because she really doesn't like the OT. She'll do it, but she's not happy about it.



We took the kids to the beach last weekend. This was the first time that the two Littles had ever seen the ocean and they loved it. Finn went and popped herself down in the waves and Scarlett wanted to venture out into the deep end with the Bigs. Scarlett had fun gathering up shells and blowing bubbles in the water. And I just enjoyed having time with my whole family, since my hubby works so much.

All in all, we have had such an amazing 2 months. I am so blessed to have the family that I do and it amazes me everyday how smoothly our adoptions have gone. Even with the "issues" that Scarlett has, she has come so far and gets better each and every day. And these "issues" are so minimal compared to what other families are going through. We certainly count our blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Kenlyn - wonderful stuff here - a bunch of divergent personalities that add up to one be happy family - and we couldn't be any happier for you!! Loved the pics too - miss the beach!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete