Saturday, December 18, 2010

My son's new 'do and life lesson #456

 
My son has been bugging me for months and months to get a mohawk. I thought it was just a rebellious thing, and I would tell him time and time again that I didn't think it was such a good idea, that he wouldn't like it after he got it and so on... he kept on about it and I finally gave in.
And I want you all to know why. You see, I'm one of those moms that when I say "no", I actually mean "no". And the more you bug me about it, the more angry I become and so then even if I would have changed my mind about it later on down the road, now there was no chance that you would get it. My children know this. They have learned the hard way at different times in their childhood just how rigid and unbending I can be. But this time was different. This was one of those times when there was a life lesson to be learned.
 
Much like the time I pierced my own ears (at age 13 and with a straight needle) because my mom wouldn't let me get them pierced. They last a whole month (tops) and then out came the earrings and I prayed daily that the holes would close up. 
 
I figured that we have almost 3 weeks of Christmas vacation and no one is really going to see him. He can get the cut and then hopefully it will grow out some before he has to see all of his peers again.  And if it didn't, then he would deal with those consequences as well.
 
So off to the salon we went.
 
Half way through the process, he decided he didn't want it anymore.
 
But it was too late. Half the head was shaved.
 
And then the other half.
 
And before he knew it, he had exactly what he had been asking for, begging for.
 
And he didn't want it!
 
So now he covers it with a hoodie and walks around with a hunched back.
 
How often do we all do that?
 
We so desperately want something. We pine for it, we obsess over it. And then, when we finally get it... we don't want it. It wasn't worth the cost.
 
And how many times during that obsessing and pining do we hear that small voice, telling us it isn't worth it?
 
But we don't listen.
 
We, like children, have to learn the hard way.
 
But then again, aren't we all children? God's children? And that little voice is Christ telling us it isn't worth it.
 
But we don't listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment