Friday, April 8, 2011

Jerk of the Century Award

Goes to...

The creep in the black pick up truck outside of the Pet-O-rama!

I was getting Scarlett into her car seat in a parking lot. A guy in a pick up truck pulled up behind me and yelled, "Hey!"
I turned towards him, he says, "Buy American!" and then drives off.
My first thought was... But I drive a Ford.


And then it dawned on me.

10 comments:

  1. to which i'd always love to shout...can you afford to? really, get serious people! so sorry you had to experience this...reality, but lessons on "stupid people are out there"

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've *laid hands on people* for less then that. Ooooo, that's bad, how are you doing after that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roberta,
    You know, I'm not angry. I'm sad. Because I keep thinking about that she will have to endure morons like this for the rest of her life. It starts with the pre-school eye comments, moves onto the "why didn't your mommy want you?" comments and so on. And I can't protect her from any of it. I just have to be here, loving her, and helping her work through it, after the fact.
    And that makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this horrible experience. So sorry it happened, but as a soon to be adoptive momma myself it helps prepare me for some of the things I may be facing in the coming months as I get my frils home. So blessed by the way you are willing to share your journey.

    www.thejourneytojillian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, that is so bad. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. blood. boiling.

    geesh--the igonorance of MANY in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - He was just demonstrating his ignorance. Unfortunately he did it at the expense of a mama and child. We had 3 children when we started on our adoption journey. We looked into foster / adopt, but they wouldn't let us put a child from the US "sytem" into a bedroom with a sibling who was more than 5 years older. It's OK for our birth children who are more than 5 years apart to share a bedroom, but not a child who needs a family. Our home is 3 bedroom, 2,400 square feet, but we would have had to add on to adopt from the US. Children need families (not square feet), so we brought our son home from Korea and our daughter from China. So sad that many American kids don't have families because of ridiculous rules. On another note - aren't most of us immigrants not that far back in our history?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. It is so sad that people even think this way, and even more so that they feel the obligation to share that ignorance with you and your child. But as you can tell from his actions, he is also a coward. He drove off so quickly after slinging that nasty comment toward you.

    When we started our adoption journey almost 7 years ago we had a lot to consider. We did consider adopting domestically, but for us and our family we did not feel that it was a good fit. We did really struggle with this because we know that there are many children available domestically, but the program at the time jut wasn't for us. After looking at numerous international programs we finally decided on China because their program, people, and culture really hit home for us. We now have two beautiful daughters from China (one NSN and one SN) and they are truly amazing.

    When I look at my girls and think about the fact that people will not and do not like them because of the way they look I am greatly saddened. The fact that anyone can pass judgement on my family and me for our choices without knowing or understanding any circumstances is very sad. Unfortunately, this is something that we will deal with for the rest of our lives. We can only hope to educate people in the mean time and possibly turn some hearts from the negative to the positive.

    Hugs to you and your daughter. So sorry that this was said to you. {{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. That breaks my heart...and makes me want to break his bones!!!

    ReplyDelete