Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Purple Elephants and the unattentive parents that make them possible

When we bring home a new child, we tend to obsess over that new child and our lives become consumed with everything they are feeling and doing. This is fine... unless you have other children. With my 8 year old daughter, I knew, even in China, that she was hurting. Her jealousy and insecurities came out in her whining and hurting herself for attention. Through this, although it was very stressful for an already overstressed mom, I dealt with her jealousy and tried really hard to give her what she needed. Obviously I wasn't able to give her everything she needed because she couldn't be my center of attention. But she received enough love from myself and my mom to sustain her and help her through the jealousy.

What I failed to realize was how much my 10 1/2 year old son was suffering. He suffered quietly. When he was home, he was helpful and polite and sweet. He changed Scarlett's diaper without me asking him to, made his bed, picked up his room. His hugs and kisses became more frequent, but I thought it was just a phase. He would ask me almost nightly if he could snuggle with me and most times he would be asleep before I could make it in to him. This was because I was tending first to Scarlett's needs and then to whiny Maeve's needs. The reason I point out the whininess is simply because she let me know she was hurting, she needed me. He, on the other hand, never said a word.

So imagine my surprise when I attended our twice yearly teacher-parent conference and found that he was taking out his sorrows at school. My A+ student is now making D's. Sure he still gets 100's, but the former is more typical.
The teacher went on. He is disruptive, rude to other students and generally messing around. Constantly.

Surely this isn't my son! Shaw doesn't do that! He takes pride in his work, he is respectful of others, he enjoys school.

Unfortunately his work and progress reports show differently.

We have a long road ahead of us to make things right. I know that the school work is secondary to the giant purple elephant in the room. So he isn't grounded, he isn't in trouble. I know he'll make things right at school. When he was brought in at the end of the session, he was truly remorseful about his behavior and I believe he feels bad about what he has done. After all, this is not typical behavior for him.

What we will both work on is communication. And I'll work on spending more time with my baby. Because he needs me. Even though he may not act like he needs the babying and his signs are getting more and more subtle, he still does. And shame on me for not seeing the purple elephant that was standing right in front of me. Darned if I didn't walk around it every day and not give it a second glance.

6 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a good post that I need to heed! I've been *trying* to prepare our birth kids, but know I have no clue yet.
    Your sweet boy....he'll do fine. And what a great mom to be able to (publicly) admit a mistake and make it better!
    I could fill a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still tripping over that purple elephant around here. Just when I think he's done he shows back up.

    It's a hard job, being a mom.

    You are doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I would also like to say, if Shaw is your first 10 year old boy, that 10 11 & 12 are brutal for young men. They have all of these hormones and growth spurts and crazy things going through their little heads that it is sometimes really hard to make sense of it all.Concentration goes down the tubes and they become more impulsive.
    My 17 year old was a talker(thank goodness)...so he would tell me things like " I feel like a teenager and everyone treats me like a kid" or "i feel like a boxer who just wants to go and hit something...and I don't believe in hitting, What's wrong with me?".
    These things along with a new sibling may just be alot for him to process.
    I hope things get back to normal for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!
    Shaw has started telling me that he gets so mad that he just wants to punch something. Those hormones wreak havoc on them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does make them crazy!! When Caleb was that age-
    we went to Sears and purchased a big ole' sand filled punching bag, gloves, and then got the ROCKY II sound track!
    He'd turn that music on and go to town.
    Problem solved. Best $$$ we ever spent. it gave him an energy outlet, ya know?
    Nothing a 10 year old boy loves more than doing "man stuff". ;)
    It just makes all the difference.
    He sounds alot like my boys. Your gonna love him as a teenager...no seriously....they are really cool.:)

    ReplyDelete