Friday, March 23, 2012

Lost in translation

It all started with the word "Dah". Finn came to us saying that word and she would say it for many different things and many different ways. She would say it when she wanted my attention, her brother's attention. When she was excited or happy.

And then in walks our young 20-something guide.

"Oh, she is saying that she wants to fight. She wants to hit you! That is what Dah means!"

And so every time this child would say "DAH!", I would say "Boo dah!" (Boo meaning "no")

She stopped giving me eye contact but still said "Dah" any chance she got.

And then we arrived in Guangzhou and headed over to see my good friend, Jordon. She looked at him and said, "DAH!" And he laughed and started singing "Dah dah dah..."

I asked him what it meant and he said "happy", "look at me!". He went on to explain that when children are small and learning sounds, they focus on Dah and turn it into a sing song thing!

And so every time my sweet, amazing little child said to me "Happy", thanks to my guide I told her "NO HAPPY"!

"Happy!"
"No happy"
"Happy!"
"No happy"
"Happy!"
"No happy"
"Look at me!"
"No look at you!"

Stupid guide.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry - been gone for a couple days - family things - not like you'd know anything about that!

    Great pictures - good memories - and re the rest - boo guide - dah jordan!! ;) It'll pass and being pretty deaf - it's not like I know about misunderstandings - I didn't ignore you, I just never heard you being the one I suffer daily!

    hugs - Blessings on Jordan!!

    aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks!!! Booo to the guide, and thank God for Jordon to help out :) Now you can tell her Dah too!

    ReplyDelete