It's hard to believe that Chunky Monkey has only been with us since yesterday. She is so funny and smart and inquisitive. And snuggly. I thought that last night would be bad, she would realize that she wasn't going back to the orphanage, and would finally grieve, but she didn't. I learned today that this is because the orphanage director prepared her for the adoption so well in advance that by the time she saw us, it was like we had always been there. Unbelievable.
We started the day by heading to the Notary office and finalizing that part of the adoption. We took an official looking picture in front of a red curtain and then Finn was mine.
We then started on our 3 hour car ride to Quzhou City. Apparently in Zhiajiang province, they want you to do to the city (and not just province capitol) to receive their passport. And this is all done after the adoption starts. So I signed my name on more documents, she took a smiley picture (because she never stops) of Finn for her passport and we headed to the orphanage to bring the diapers and formula and snacks that we had bought from the local store. Our trip to the store was full of joking with the orphanage director and lots of smiling all the way around.
I want to preface something here. Finn's orphanage has been closed to foreigners for the past 3 years thanks to some really overzealous Australians who thought they could tell the director and ayis how to do things. Instead of suggesting things, they berated and the end result was the director closing the doors and saying that due to the swine flu scare, no one is allowed in.
Well, can I just tell you... I love the director! I love her heart! She is so all about these children. The ayis are all about the children. They are loved, they are happy and they are healthy. I am so blessed to have been able to visit with the children and the ayis and the director and see how the children interact on a day to day basis. And see the amazing place that my daughter came from. We have exchanged email addresses with the director and I intend on keeping up with her through emails and pictures. She and I both cried when we left and her heart was so big! God is working his way into China!
The only downfall to the long trip was finding out that my little monkey internalizes everything and threw up all over me and her on the way there. Thankfully it was just on the sweatshirt and I could pull that off. My jeans on the other hand.... shudder.....
















Ava did the throw up thing on that trip to Quzhou too! Can't wait to see your pics of the trip! I might have to steal the director's email to send her pics of Ava. They took good care of her and I would love for them to see how she's doing. Enjoy China and your new little girl!
ReplyDelete