We woke up on the wrong side of the bed and all bets are off on how this day will end...
We started by hitting me in the leg and side until I told her to stop. Once she was told to stop, she got mad. Since she normally doesn't get mad, I knew this was going to be a long day.
She went into the kitchen with her brother and he gave her some cheerios and a banana. She was happy with that until she saw what he was making and proceeded to dump the bowl onto the floor so the dog would eat it.
See where this is going?
We didn't nap, instead we screamed for an hour straight. Snuggling with her until she fell asleep wasn't an option because she refused to fall asleep and would cry as soon as I moved an inch or even when I didn't move an inch. I finally had to suck it up and leave her to her screaming. Which sucked!
Once we finished the nightmarish hour, I went in (with a smile on my face and a spring in my step - even though I was thoroughly dreading it and just wanted some Haggen Daaz) and got her up. She was still crying, although by this time they were dry tears and she was playing with the dolls in her crib. I got her up and into a bath with her big sister, they played for a while and then I snuggled with her until she was dry. I made it a point of giving her lots of kisses, even though I was still really annoyed. It's hard to hide that, but you do the best you can. And I do love her so much so I kept telling myself that and that today would end shortly and tomorrow was another day.
Currently she is sucking up to me, by running through the house yelling "mama" and kissing me as she goes by.
So see, even though I am so blessed with how easily she has acclimated to us, we still have our bad days. In fact, she is hitting her sister right now, as I type this and I am about to have to discipline her. Again.
Sigh....
Jeremiah needs prayer.
11 years ago
















Some days we do not get naps either- up side to that I is that they go to bed earlier. :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like she is secure and feels like she has a voice in her new family.
Hard on Mama..but a good thing. :)
Hope tomorrow is a fun day for you guys.
You are so real--what a blessing that is! Being a parent of any child is not always cupcakes and smiles is it? And especially with adoption blogs it sometimes comes across that it is ... and probably more than not there are several of these hard days in a row especially in the beginning. You sound like you have a plan and the right priorities to get things well in shape in time! Again thank you for the real aspect of parenting!!! I think that is more helpful to ALL parents to read. OH, and thank you again for the recipe book!!!--I made some muffins from there for Easton's Kdg. class and they LOVED them! Can't wait to start on the Chinese ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhen you discipline, what do you do? Because these little ones are not like our bio kids...leaving them alone is really awful--like abandonment all over again. Spanking is a no-no; it's just violence to them and maybe what they got where they were before. Gentle loving and moving the hands from hitting or feet from kicking is what it takes. Even now with 5 years home for our girl, we can't discipline her the way we did our bio boys.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I think her dumping her breakfast to get a new one is kind of clever. Messy, but clever.
2 Words my friend YOU SURVIVED!!!!
ReplyDeleteI had that very same day myself over and over and over those first 3 months, and I think you do awesome! Sometimes putting the little one down and walking away is exactly what we as Momma needs to make it through the rest of the day. So good for you Girl!
Keep posting!
I discipline by putting her on the other side of the room and telling her that when she is done having her tantrum she can join in on whatever it is we are doing.
ReplyDeleteWe don't spank here except for EXTREME circumastances, and this is only with my bio kids. The books say to not spank adopted children for at least a year. I was a little taken aback by that. I can't imagine spanking her even then.
I am constantly removing hands and feet from the situation. This is an ongoing process with her. This morning she nailed the cat in the face and then laughed when he ran away. It's really tiring on my fingers to try and type on Google translator why she shouldn't do something, but I find myself doing it all day long. Except when she is napping...
Sounds good, K.
ReplyDelete