We almost had an international incident today.
We were out with Ann and eating lunch. Ann had taken Maeve to the restroom and Scarlett started crying (mixture of tired and just fussy). I got up and took her out of the restaurant and into the hallway. An older woman, maybe in her 60’s, came out and glared at me. By this time Scarlett had stopped crying and I was about to head back into the place. She blocked my way and tried to take Scarlett from me, literally trying to RIP her out of my arms. She started screaming at me and digging her nails into my arm. It took everything I had NOT to punch her, because I so wanted to. Momma lion took over! I was so angry and shaking like crazy! Shaw had followed me out and was pushing her away from me, and standing in front of me, and I was pushing her away, telling her I was the mother. The woman was screaming at us. Scarlett starts screaming at the top of her lungs at this point because she is so scared. A crowd gathers. Really, at this point I couldn’t have gotten past them, back to the restaurant, if I had wanted to. Suddenly I see Ann and Maeve and yell to them to come over. Ann comes over and gets into a screaming match with the older woman. By this time there are two policemen there and another woman who keeps asking Scarlett where her momma is.
It was a nightmare.
Finally they backed off, my mom came out with the stroller and we left. But I’ll tell you, it was scary. When I think about the fact that I don’t have her visa or passport yet (the American consulate has it) and so can’t show 100% that she is mine. If we had been by ourselves I don’t know what would have happened. Thank God for Ann!
I am exhausted from that alone.
We did some shopping at the wholesale market and found some fun stuff. The kids had a blast.
I’m so excited. Tomorrow is our last day here. I can’t wait to go home.
















Wow, Kenlyn! I can't even imagine how that must have made you (and your family) feel!!! Hang in there...only one more day :)
ReplyDeleteKim Leitermann
Oh my goodness!! That IS scary! I'm praying for your last few days in China.
ReplyDeleteI just stressed out reading this one! OH MY! I'm so glad you got out of there. Poor baby. Poor you!
ReplyDeleteNancy
How frightening! Glad it ended okay.
ReplyDeleteJoyful Mama at WAGI
WOW! That is wild! I have never heard of that happening before. Glad you guys are ok!
ReplyDeleteYou poor girl! OHMYgoodness!!!! that is something that would happen in a hollywood movie! glad it all worked out (that Ann was there) and you and kids were able to get out in one piece!
ReplyDeletepraying for the rest of your trip!
They normally see American families in the wholesale market area, but we wanted to have an authentic Chinese lunch and so we went off the beaten path just a bit. Not sure if I would do that again with a new member of the family. We have friends here who have a 6 1/2 year old (adopted many years ago) and a new 9 yr old. The younger one started having a meltdown yesterday in a store and his instinct was to high tail it out of there too. You just never know. And even though he has the younger one's passport, it's just too scary of a risk. With the language barrier, there is just so much left unsaid because neither side can express how they are feeling.
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful for Ann. When I asked her later what she said, she told me I didn't want to know.
She is probably right.
Funny how in a moment like that, Momma bear instinct kicks in. I've had her for only 2 weeks but there was no way ANYONE was gonna touch my baby! No way, no how!
Oh. My. Goodness! I cannot imagine!! I am so thankful you had Ann there too! Wow.
ReplyDeleteGood gracious. I never thought about something like this happening---but I'm sure it has happened before. I'm sure it was totally exhausting. Phew!
ReplyDeleteKenlyn, how scary! So glad you made it out ok. Wow!
ReplyDeleteErin/j2j